Fun project I finished up over the weekend.
The dismembered hand is plaster, from a lifecast of myself. Additional scultping for the rotted flesh, etc. Super cheap to complete, the most expensive item was the $6 glass container from Target.
I used Douglas & Sturgess moulage for the lifecast. Moulage isn't the most popular product these days, but it has the admirable trait of being reusable for future molds. This is great for a hobbyist who tends to screw up molds, like I do. Just break it down and remelt it, and you're ready to go.
If I do something similar again, I'll likely tint the plaster when I pour the cast, but it took the paint pretty well. (The photo in the grass shows it getting a clear coat halfway through the painting process.)
I used some tinted resin for the base, and craft-store moss for a bit of decoration. The resin gives a cool dingy look while also holding the hand firmly in place on the uneven bottom. I spritzed the inside of the glass jar a poor quality clear coat to give the appearance of grime and condensation, and topped it off with a coffee-stained and dusty label.
It's not exactly camera-ready, but it was fun to make, and a good project for a backyard propmaker. I'm sure someone with better chops could really make something like this shine.